Core + Exrtas 2

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Nov 20 15:01:38 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 20 November 2006 08:41, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Are you talking about having a general policy on updates or having a
>> release freeze like FC instead of rolling updates like FE?
>
> No, he's asking about introducing new packages to a released product.  Say
> Fedora 7 goes out the door with a given package set.  Three weeks later a
> great new package gets added to the Fedora universe, what kind of policy
> would there be in making this package available to the Fedora 7 users?

Correct, thats what I'm trying to say.

> Its an interesting question, one that I'd like to hear opinions on.
> Historically we haven't made new packages available in core unless they were
> needed by something else already in.  However having Extras around helped in
> that new packages could get introduced there.  Just adding the package in
> sounds OK on the surface, but one needs to consider some of the guidelines
> we're putting up as far as what can be spun and called Fedora.

Can we split the question / discussion in 2 please:
1) Is it allowed to introducing a new package to the online repository /
   updates directory of a released product

And if we allow that, only then discuss:

2) Is it allowed to spin a cut of Fedora and still call it Fedora with such
   "post release" addon packages included.

Discussing 1) first seems to make sense as without 1) happening there is no 2) to discuss.

Regards,

Hans