Core + Exrtas 2

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Nov 20 15:03:45 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:13:52AM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> Its an interesting question, one that I'd like to hear opinions on.
>> Historically we haven't made new packages available in core unless they were
>> needed by something else already in.  However having Extras around helped in
>> that new packages could get introduced there.  Just adding the package in
>> sounds OK on the surface, but one needs to consider some of the guidelines
>> we're putting up as far as what can be spun and called Fedora.  If a bunch of
>> new packages show up after Fedora 7 is cut, would somebody be able to make
>> use of those packages when spinning their cut of Fedora 7?  I think it's
>> pretty safe to say that a lot of these packages wouldn't have a chance to go
>> through any kind of QA / Testing that Will is trying to put in place.
>
> I think Fedora has fast enough a release schedule that new packages and
> major upgrades of existing packages (except when it's the most
> straightforward security fix -- thanks, firefox developers!) should wait for
> the next release.

Why, what is there to loose? I agree with you on major upgrades of existing packages,
but adding a new package to the repo, say a new game for example, will not hurt existing
users in anyway, even if they do a daily yum update it will change nothing for them, except
an ever so slightly larger metadata download.

Regards,

Hans