Core + Extras

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Nov 20 15:05:06 UTC 2006

Once upon a time, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at fenrus.demon.nl> said:
> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 12:56 +0000, Keith G wrote:
> > How will future decisions be made on which packages constitute the
> > official release (included in the release CDs and DVD)?
>
> I think at some point the "CD" needs to shrink down; it's an online
> world after all, and 5 cd's is just "too much" for people to look up
> against.

The problem is that it is _not_ an online world for a lot of people.
I've got a friend that lives in a broadband-challenged area; his only
option for anything faster than dialup is satellite, and that doesn't
help with Fedora (since they cap downloads).

Right now, Extras is "second class" for that kind of user, because they
just can't get to it and install much.  The ability to spin ISOs for
Extras will help, but the problem with custom spins is distribution.
Unless there are "official" ISOs, they can't easily be mirrored or
torrented.

It would still be nice to see a release-day snapshot of Extras in ISO
format (or even move Extras to a release and update directory structure
like Core).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>