Core + Extras 2

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 20 15:44:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 10:31 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 04:25:11PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > What can't stand six months of testing in rawhide?
> > Users, who want to use/need a package, developers/maintainers who want
> > to see their work used. Rawhide doesn't cater these *user demands*,
> > rawhide is a mere developer platform trying to cater their demands.
>
> I see this side of it too.
>
> How about stipulating that new packages will only go in the newest release,
> and won't be added to older still-supported releases?
That's the old "legacy" problem.

My opinion on this: As long as a new package doesn't break something (no
API/ABI changes, no SONAME changes, no package/file conflicts etc.), and
as long somebody is volunteering to *maintain* a package for older
releases, I don't see much reason to hinder this volunteer.

In some cases, this will be possible and easy, in some cases this won't
work out. In FE, in practice, this so far had worked out quite well.

I also don't disagree, that we need a real "cut-off" mark somewhere, say
Fedora(Current-2).

Ralf