Core + Exrtas 2

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 20 17:38:46 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 22:23 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>> - Asking for ABI compatibility is a little boring.
>> I dont think we can meet ABI compatibility requirements on all updates.
> You can't avoid it. In fact, current Core strictly does or at least
> tries hard to strive for it. FE is a bit sloppier about it.

Strictly maintaining ABI is very heavy amount of additional work. Since
many upstream projects dont care about it, this essentially means
backporting fixes, struggle on choiecs between security fixes and ABI
breakage, doing QA ack's on every individual patch, running it through a
series of tests etc that is being done on RHEL. We cant afford that
maintenance overhead currently in Fedora.

Rahul