SUG: RPM database verification / repair, nightly and in Anaconda

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Nov 21 06:39:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 17:49 -0600, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 04:38:23AM -0800, Otto Rey wrote:
> > This sound good, but first we need to detect why rpms database got corrupted.
>
> It's Berkeley DB.  Corruption should be expected.  :-/

I guess I'm a little confused here, actually.

Let's take bsddb out of the example.

If I'm a client of an oracle db and I repeatedly open, read, close the
database using the interface available, for small amounts of data that
might not be the most efficient use of the database connection.

However, if as a result of open-read-close the database is corrupted
and/or rendered unusable where would you say the bug lies?

To me it seems like a valid client connection should not be able to
corrupt a database simply by open-read-closing no matter how many times.
And if it can then clearly there is something wrong with the database
code.

-sv