Core + Exrtas 2

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Nov 21 15:30:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 09:29 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >> That language may be a bit too strong, as I can think of cases where an
> >> essential update may end up breaking ABI, though it's not unreasonable to
> >> to make policy such that it *should* (not must) be avoided.
>
> > Well, this "must" is the core point about all this - Fedora should be a
> > stable distro.
>
> I guess we disagree then.
<bitter sarcasm>
Welcome to the wonderful "world of rawhide" - Good Night, Fedora!

You once had been a usable distro, but your masters now seem to be
wanting to convert you into a jungle :(
</bitter sarcasm>

>   I consider ABI compatibility as just one part
> of what defines a stable distro, but, imo, there are certainly cases
> where breaking ABI is justified (for essential features, bug fixes, and
> yes, stability sometimes).

Please ask RH how they have been handling Core, so far.

I don't know how many times I've been told: "No API-changes, no ABI
upgrade, no feature upgrades, often not even bugfixes (aka
FIXEDRAWHIDE)"!

Ralf