FC6: some impressions

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Nov 21 23:06:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 05:30:51PM -0500, Dimi Paun wrote:
>   4. CD burining in Nautilus is broken
>      When clinking on the "Burn to CD..." button nothing happens
>      for >30 of seconds, then dialog appears. Clicking on the
>      drive dropdown to select another drive results in the same
>      freeze lasting 20s or so. A non-technical user would have
>      had to reboot the box!

No bug number ? - Can you give me the results of "dmesg" when this happens
and tell me what sort of IDE or SATA controller you have ?

>   5. Firefox starts using 100% after some time.

Seen that with FC6, went away after I removed the flash plugin crap.

> My question is: Quo Vadis? Shouldn't these problem been caught by QA?
> Aren't these issues considered show stoppers for a Desktop distribution?

You assume everyone has the same experience you do - FC6 for me for example
burns CDs fine and evolution sends email (its about all that particular pile
of garbage does but thats a large upstream problem not an RH packaging one).
You might want want to investigate a better email client - eg sylpheed-claws.

I am interested in the CD one, thats something I need to know more about.

Alan