Static linking considered harmful

Hi!

We should more proactively discourage static linking in FC7+, for
reasons for that see
http://people.redhat.com/drepper/no_static_linking.html

Removing libc.a would be most effective, but I'm afraid we still need
a handful of statically linked binaries for boot time initialization and
system recovery utilities.

So, I think it would be best if we could analyze what in FC7/FE7
is linked statically, why, if it really needs to be linked that way
and what *.a libraries does it link in and kill all other *.a libraries
(unless the library is only in *.a form, examples libbfd.a,
libc_nonshared.a, libpthread_nonshared.a, libsupc++.a, libgfortranbegin.a)
and kill all other libraries.

E.g. ideally we'd drop libpthread.a, librt.a, libstdc++.a, libgfortran.a,
libboost*.a, all GUI libs that have also *.so libs, etc.

Thoughts?

	Jakub