Static linking considered harmful

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Nov 22 10:53:58 UTC 2006

Patrice Dumas wrote:

> I don't care at all about system share libraries, this is not a shared
> executable, so no trouble with new system shared libraries. And once more
> for numerical models iconv, locales, and nss are not really usefull.

You could alter your build methodology so that each of the target
boxes,eg, rebuilds an SRPM with the local library environment?  You need
the compiler and -devel bits and bobs then on the boxes.

Or, leaving the .a files in the packages can be a policy controlled by a
macro on the build box?  Then you can rebuild the -devel packages for
your build box with the .a files still in how you like and go on as you are.

-Andy