Reducing Fedora memory footprint?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Nov 22 15:27:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:36:10PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> In my experience, the biggest problem with Fedora on low-memory systems is
> getting it installed. Anaconda tends to just lock up or reboot if it doesn't
> have at least something like 256 MB RAM.

Indeed, a network install with 128MB just doesn't work; Something
called 'exe' gets hung trying to install glibc. :-(

I noticed that the RAM file systems in use are actually ramfs, not
tmpfs, so even after swap is enabled, swap can't be used as backing
store for the files we're downloading, some of which are quite large.

Doing a local CD-ROM install did succeed on this same system, which
leads me to think that the ramfs->tmpfs switch might be beneficial for
exactly this reason.

-Matt

--
Matt Domsch