Static linking considered harmful

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Wed Nov 22 17:08:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:34:14AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> actually static linking DECREASES that portability !!

On which planet ?

galibert at m71.limsi.fr:~/git/mmconfig #2 >git grep acpi_table_mcfg_config
git: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
galibert at m71.limsi.fr:~/git/mmconfig #3 >cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

T'was compiled on a 32bits fc3, shared, and I tried to use it on a
x86-64 fc5.  It is *extremely* hard to be sure that you have all the
compatilibity libraries for the previous versions of fc.

Missing shared libs is the #1 portability problem in heterogenous
environments.  Glibc "I hate static linking" shenanigans are a far
away second.

  OG.