Static linking considered harmful

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Nov 22 18:16:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:38:22AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:

> I think it would be nice to avoid even that, it takes up lots of disk
> space, see [1] which makes Fedora somewhat less appealing for embedded
> use - such as OLPC where there probably is still a few statically linked
> binaries that are completely useless on such a system.

Statically linked binaries shipped in fedora is a completly different
subject than allowing apps not in fedora to be linked statically against
static libraries provided in fedora. Removing statically binaries makes
sense, just as having dynamic libraries for each packages, but it is
a very different issue, still in that case it makes sense to ship static
libraries for those who want to build statically programs which are not
meant to be shipped in fedora.

--
Pat