Static linking considered harmful

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz at redhat.com
Wed Nov 22 19:14:32 UTC 2006

(sorry about the messed up references: field. Jakub just pointed me at
this discussion and I realized that I was dropped/not-readded
from this list.)

> Far simpler, cleaner and more friendly will be to dump the static
> libraries into libfoo-devel-static packages which are not in the
> default install. That ensures people who need to can do static links
> and the default behaviour is that they are not there. The -static
> packages could even get dropped off the CD easily enough once the
> mechanisms for handling one srpm spitting out binary components for
> extras and core are sorted

yay! I'm glad somebody suggested this. This is my preference as well.

I think it provides a better transition plan then the ignominious
beheading of all *.a's.

-benjamin