Reducing Fedora memory footprint?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Nov 23 14:38:48 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 06:55, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>> especially when it comes to CPU/memory intensive tasks such as
>> dep-solving.
>
> Except that the depsolving is done by rpm libraries which are C, so invalid
> argument.

I was told by JBJ that the cause of the memory bloat is rpmlib
maintaining in memory two lists of filepaths from every package
involved.  One is apparently trying to detect symlinks by holding device
and inode information along with the filepath, and the other is a btree
type representation of each path level that is rapidly searchable.  He
had ideas for fixing both if anyone wants to reach out.  I took a look
at the sources and crept away with my tail between my legs.

-Andy