Static linking considered harmful

Erik van Pienbroek admin at zapped.2y.net
Thu Nov 23 18:10:09 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 23-11-2006 om 17:07 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Andrew
Haley:
> However, many application writers still use static
> linkage, and these application writers either don't know or don't care
> that various random things are going to fail if they continue to link
> statically.

Okay, I get the point that static linking is evil, but what
would then be the proper way to compile a application which
is able to run across multiple Linux distro's ?
The first thing that comes in my mind is bundling your
own shared libraries with the application, but for that to
work the LD_LIBRARY_PATH= hack is needed, which is also evil.

Erik van Pienbroek