Reducing Fedora memory footprint?

Jochen Schlick jochen.schlick at comsoft.de
Fri Nov 24 08:32:19 UTC 2006

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 19:27 +0100, Leszek Matok wrote:
>> Now you're comparing apples and oranges. I was talking about apt from
>> Extras, using repomd repositories. You're comparing yum with Debian's
>> apt with their repos (different number of files and packages; should be
>> greater, but I don't know if "main" contains all their packages, or is
>> it something like our "Core").
>>
>> apt-rpm also has its own repo format which is much faster to download
>> and parse than repomd. You should check it out :)
>>
>> Lam
>
> I would have conducted an apt-rpm vs yum test, but I'm on x86_64, and
> last time I checked, apt has lousy bi-arch support. (Did it improve)
> FYI I'm using Debian unstable which has comparable number of packages.
>
> - Gilboa

To get comparable results for apt-rpm and yum try to create
your own Rawhide-mirror ! So you can update using apt and/or yum.

My local mirror for my home network is a rpm-apt-server for at least
1 year, because yum/kyum... are definitely not usable on older machines
(<1Ghz, <256MB) whereas apt-get/synaptic are still usable.

The repository creation on the server using the yum-repo-tools after
rsyncing with one of the Rawhide-Servers consumed also too much time.

best regards