Reducing Fedora memory footprint?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Nov 24 09:12:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 09:32 +0100, Jochen Schlick wrote:
> My local mirror for my home network is a rpm-apt-server for at least
> 1 year, because yum/kyum... are definitely not usable on older machines
> (<1Ghz, <256MB) whereas apt-get/synaptic are still usable.

Hmm, what am I running on my old i586/166MHz/64MB RAM notebook?

# time yum update -y
[d/l'ing and installing 2 average sized packages]
real    6m49.293s
user    1m56.081s
sys     0m33.872s

slow .. yes, but still usable ;)

Running anaconda (Upgrading or installing fedora on this machine is fun)
or kyum (I've never used it) probably is a different matter.

Ralf