unowned directory problem with /etc/logrotate.d

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Nov 24 10:56:01 UTC 2006

Davide Bolcioni wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> Many packages drop config files for logrotate in /etc/logrotate.d.
>> without requiring logrotate, which is the owner of
>> /etc/logrotate.d, thus potentially leading to an unowned
>> /etc/logrotate.d for users who don't want logrotate and thus remove it.
>>
>> I see 2 solutions for this:
>> 1) Add "Requires: logrotate" to all packages which put files in
>> /etc/logrotate.d. IMHO this is not good as the user should be able
>>   to choose if he wants logrotate or not.
>> 2) Add /etc/logrotate.d to the filesystem package, this is my
>> preferred solution.
>>
>> I would like to hear what others think, before filing a bug against
>> filesystem requesting 2) .
>
> If the package drops a file in logrotate.d, it's likely that it is
> because something in the package is writing to some log file which the
> package expects logrotate to operate upon; if logrotate is not there to
> rotate them, there's a chance of filling /var. I would feel safer with
> option (1).

Currently nothing is stopping me from doing rpm -e logrotate, or rpm -e cron even, thus we already have this problem for default logfiles like /var/log/messages. Now should sysklogd have a "Requires: logrotate cron", I would hate to see that happen, I'm very happy without cron and cleaning
/var/log manually sometimes. The default shouldn't fill /var/log, but users shouldn't be forced to have / use logrotate if they don't want to.

Regards,

Hans