Static linking considered harmful

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Nov 27 13:25:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 07:40:24AM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 27 November 2006 07:26, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Of course they can, but it is less simple, why do something complicated
> > when something simple is available?
>
> For similar reasons that ssh is replacing telnet...  Many times easier !=
> better.

The comparison isn't relevant. ssh is really different from telnet, while
static and dynamic linking are - in the use case I am speaking about - very
similar.

And telnet can also have use cases, for example on network isolated
from internet where you trust the user who have physical access to the
computers anyway and could steal your keys.

--
Pat