Suggestion: Static libs policy, a draft

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Tue Nov 28 07:09:55 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> In other words, for all statically linked executables in Core
>> (recovering, init/boot time etc.), all the libraries which take place in
>> the correspond static linkage must be present.
>
> Obviously. This is sort of prerequisite for self-hosting.

Well, not so fast.  There is no reason for booting to require static
linking.  It might even be that the static linking meanwhile increases
the ramdisk size (2.7M for both binaries).  In any case, we're not
booting from floppy disks anymore so this is not an issue.  The static
linking should be removed where it is currently used for booting.

As for recovery: you're a fool if you trust the binaries on the system
which has to be covered.  This is what the rescue mode of the boot CD is
for.