Static linking considered harmful

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Nov 28 15:12:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 01:15:33AM +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> On 11/27/06, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
>
> * Possible accidental violation of the LGPL
>
> Not an issue with shared object bundling, though I suppose for most
> software that Fedora users build it's not an issue either

Not sure that bundling the .so is better in this regard. I am not sure that
it is legal to bundle LGPL covered .so and a proprietary app in the same
tarball. It is possible to do 2 tarballs, one with apps with LGPL source
compatible license, the other with non LGPL compatible license, and the user
just has to unpack them in the same directory. It could also be that bundling
LGPL source compatible and LGPL source incompatible apps is permitted, I
haven't checked precisely.

--
Pat