100% CPU on idling

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:30:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 12:41 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> I am curious if anyone else is seeing it's processor at 100% when the
> machine is supposed to idling (I do not use fancy screensavers, just
> go to a blank screen after 10 minutes).
> I noticed because this is a laptop and the fan is triggered by cpu
> temperature raising.
> As soon as I touch the mouse, the CPU stops processing, but I can see
> it was at 100% in the system monitor applet.
>
> I suspect this is the inteded behavior of something but, nonetheless,
> I would like to know what actually is (and eventually kill it...)
>
> cheers
>
> Gianluca

+1 (on FC6)

I believe the problem has to do with beagle.  If you don't mind
completely redoing your index, try removing ~/.beagle (when logged out
of X).  The problem only cropped up for me when I switched from
Thunderbird (which isn't indexed by beagle) to Evolution (which is).
When I disable indexing, the problem disappears, and it seems that it
also goes when you remove the ~/.beagle directory.

Jonathan