Suggestion: Static libs policy, a draft

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Nov 29 14:02:33 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:

>One issue with separate, auto-generated -devel-static packages - how
>do you handle dependencies? Or do you just handwave around the fact
>that (for example) kudzu-devel requires pciutils-devel?

"foo-devel-static" always requires "foo-devel" .

"foo-devel" itself can require some another "-devel" packages, for
example "bar-devel". But it does not mean that "foo-devel-static"
strongly requires "bar-devel-static", because the user might want to
link statically just some of the libraries...

If someone does static linking (a "non-standard" and "non-recommended"
thing), we may assume that either such a user, or his/her admin are
"advanced enough", therefore it was not too hard for them to pre-install
all the static libs they need.

BTW, what about "-debug" subpackages? Are there a way to install all
"-debug" stuff automatically?

~buc