removing termcap

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Nov 29 15:49:24 UTC 2006

Once upon a time, Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> said:
> If our layout was logical we would not have /usr in the first place.
>
> Does anyone still mount /usr later? If so, why?

On my servers, I still typically have a separate /usr that is mounted
read-only.  I figure since no writes can occur (not even things like
atime updates), there's little chance of seeing any filesystem
corruption from anything (and it never needs fsck or journal recovery on
an unclean shutdown).

Also, this way / is a lot smaller; again, less likely to have errors and
fsck/journal replay have much less to do (so less chance for error).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>