Bluez packages in FC6

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Oct 1 19:42:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 18:52 +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> DW> It doesn't seem 'almost useless' here -- what's wrong with it for
> DW> you?
>
> Pairing is too difficult, and fails randomly.

With bluez-utils-3 and bluez-gnome, it should be a lot better. Try it,
file bugs if there are problems.

> File receive worked for me once, but last time I needed it, it didn't
> work. No error messages, that's the fun part.

File receive works consistently here -- as long as gnome-obex-server is
running, of course.

File bugs if you have problems -- we can't fix things we don't know are
misbehaving.

> If only there were diagnostics; strace and packet
> dumps are useful at work, but it would be nice to not have to use them
> at home too.

I don't know what better diagnostics I'd want than running
gnome-obex-server in a terminal so I can see its output, and running
hcidump -X -V in another terminal so I can see the traffic.

> There was no point in putting error reports in bugzilla -- I would
> have to write something like "the pairing tool isn't working", but
> there IS no pairing tool.

Of course there's a point in putting error reports in bugzilla. There
_is_ a pairing tool, and my experience is that it works. In FC-5 it was
bluez-pin; in FC-6 it'll be bluez-gnome.

> I have cut down my bluetooth usage to just ppp to a cell phone. This
> works most of the time. (With at most a few tries and perhaps a phone
> reboot, but then it is an Ericsson.)

Again -- if it fails, then show the hcidump output and we'll see what's
going wrong.

--
dwmw2