rawhide report: 20060929 changes

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 05:03:37 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 22:53 -0400, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 October 2006 20:12, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> > > I see the use of rm commands all the time in spec files. Â Can anyone
> > > explain why this is used instead of the %exclude directive? Â Not
> > > important, just curious because excluding files seems like a much safer
> > > and elegant solution.
>
> > Lack of education?  Maybe the developer isn't aware of the %exclude, or
> > would rather just remove the files anyway.  I use rm to remove static
> > libraries rather than exclude them.

1) I believe rpm has a bug where %exclude'd files are counted towards
the space the installed package will use on the system.
2)
http://www.fedora.redhat.com/docs/developers-guide/s1-rpm-more-guidelines.html point #4 discourages fixing the filelist in %files.  I don't know how widely disseminated this documentation has been (and the idea behind it is a tad dubious...)

> What is sorely needed is a RPM reference... the "Maximum RPM" book is nice
> as narrative, but almost useless at the time of designing a new .spec file

This would be helpful.  But it is a very large task.  A start has been
made on this several times but I don't know if any of those are stil
actively maintaining content.

-Toshio