Compiz not installed by default?

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Mon Oct 2 14:45:17 UTC 2006

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Wouldnt it be better to install Compiz by default in FC6? Installing
>> it offers a nice menu option to enable desktop effects and I wouldnt
>> want this to be obscure.Apparently this is not being done now though I
>> was under the impression it had been.
>
> I don't think pushing compiz too hard is a good idea at this point.
> Setting it up properly under various configurations still requires quite
> a bit of black magic. After all it's just a "yum install compiz" away
> for those who really want to wrestle with these issues.

We've been working quite a bit on integrating compiz, so that there should be
no 'black magic' involved.  If compiz works on your hardware with the drivers
that we ship, it should be just a matter of enabling it.  If you require
further workarounds to get it to work with the open source drivers, please let
us know so we can incorporate these in the default setup.

thanks,
Kristian