Xfce 4.4 call for testing

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Oct 3 16:21:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:22:46AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Myself and Christoph (The xfce plugins maintainer for extras) have been
> building and testing Xfce4.4rc1 since it's release (and the betas before it).
>
> Things are looking all good with our limited testing now.

I was allready running the beta repo, so there wasn't important changes.

The first thing I noticed, when re-adding the battery status plugin to
the panel was that the icon in the add-to-panel selection list was a mouse
and not a battery. Maybe it is normal, but it would be better if it
was a battery or something like that.

Another issue happen when some apps take over the background and icons
management (nautilus for example). The issue is that when the app which
took over is stopped, xfce don't take control back. I have to reconfigure
it, and check (approximate translation) 'enable xfce to manage the desktop'.

A third issue is that the applications pre-selectionned are not necessarily
installed (mousepad, Terminal...), and this gives a bad impression when
a click on the button leads to an error pop-up 'cannot launch...'. I
don't know if/how it could be solved easily. One possibility would be that
instead of the missing app error exo is launched to ask for the preferred
application. Maybe this means that the exo mcs pluggin has to be enabled
and maybe a bit more?

> I'm not sure if we are going to try and push things in this week before
> fc6 is released, or wait until after fc6 and push them into devel
> and then push them into fc6 later. Thoughts on that would be welcome.

To me it can be in fc6 from the beginning, it is pretty stable and it would
allow more coverage for last few bugs which should be fixed as soon as
possible, before a lot of people switch to fc6. It could be in devel now,
anyway (except if it requires other packages which have to go through review).

A reason to postpone would be to test more the transition path which is
certainly not that much tested.

--
Pat