Compiz not installed by default?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Wed Oct 4 06:33:15 UTC 2006

ons, 04 10 2006 kl. 07:51 +0200, skrev Marcus Hartig:
> Hi!
>
> Compiz (compiz-0.0.13-0.31.20060817git) is running here fine with the new
> (closed) BETA drivers from nVidia 1.0-9625. Performance is amazing...
> Some big Screenshots:
> http://www.marcush.de/2006/10/03/10-9625-beta-linux-graphics-driver/
>
> Means we get no problems with FC6 and new released nVidia drivers, I
> think. And compiz should be really installed per default. :)

If we make the switch once the FC7 tree open would that work for most
people? The Development branch does entail a certain degree of
non-workiness so that would give us the ability to give Compiz some much
need testing and integration work without facing to many complaints.

The obvious problems that need to be resolved before it's suitable:

- Tighter integration with the underlying environment
- Support for XV since watching video in non-XV mode is downright
painfully slow and leads to totem crashing when resizing the window
- Support for non 3D accelerated setups (I assume this would involve
better software fallbacks)

I would also be interested in seeing what our artwork team could think
to do with the theming abilities we get from Compiz. Delivering a full
package would make Compiz feel less like a bolted on feature.

Regardless I've run Compiz as my default WM during most of the FC6 cycle
along with the r300 driver from X.org and it hasn't crashed nor
displayed overtly bad behaviour so from a stability point it hopefully
that bodes well for a more wide deployment soon.

- David Nielsen