Compiz not installed by default?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Wed Oct 4 20:34:56 UTC 2006

ons, 04 10 2006 kl. 11:51 -0400, skrev Adam Jackson:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 11:45 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> >> That's a nice dream world.  compiz is a GL-based compositing manager and
> >> you are simply not going to get acceptable performance with it in
> >> software for the same reason you can't play quake3 in software.
> >
> > Perhaps compiz can just be a boring window manager when the 3d path is
> > slow. Right now it's totally broken and our "fix" is throwing the option
> > "what WM do you want to use" at the user. Bad. But understandable it
> > needs to be this way for a bit longer.
>
> That would involve either adding non-GLX rendering code to compiz, or
> having it exec metacity when the bling infrastructure is unavailable.
> The latter is far easier.

Well, Metacity would technically be a very well tested, boring software
fallback - it should work just fine for most people without the joy of a
supported videocard. Which was mostly what I figured would be the path
of choice since that is minimal work and exactly zero chance of breaking
something since we've shipped metacity for years.

- David