NVIDIA dkms srpms

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:50:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 13:36 -0400, Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:

> I've used DKMS for ecryptfs, unionfs, qvm86, and a few other drivers,
> and it is no hassle at all.  Recent versions even have mkrpm and mkkmp
> (Kernel Module Package) commands.

It's also been working great for me [for years] for ov518 webcam
support. You have no idea how nice it is to compile some wacky -mm
kernel, fire it up, and have all your hardware working without having to
manually do this yourself.

I've just spent the better half of this afternoon adding ipw3945 support
into a fedora kernel. Bear in mind that it uses the git version of
ieee80211, and that it doesn't compile in 2.6.18 and you get the idea.
But it works :-)

On the assumption that future kernel versions use a higher version of
ieee80211, then making a dkms rpm of ipw3945 would be trivial (and
probably even legal) :-)

Then there's the binary stuff, and the microcode but I would have to
look at the licences of those in detail.

Richard.