Using a custom DSDT with Fedora

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 21:16:02 UTC 2006

I've just spend a couple of hours fixing my BIOS :
http://hughsient.livejournal.com/5884.html

To do this, I needed to re-write the _BIF and _BST ACPI methods to
actually interface with the hardware in a sane way.

Using Ubuntu or SUSE, using a new dsdt would be as easy as adding it to
the initrd. BUT on Fedora you have to build a custom kernel (not
trivial), patch it to add the custom dsdt functionality, add the dsdt to
the initrd and then boot this new custom kernel.

I do understand the policy of not including random patches to the kernel
source, but given:

* There are lots (hundreds?) of existing out-of-tree patches to the
default fedora kernel.
* Most of the the other big distros allow a user to load custom dsdt's
* The feature is already used by thousands of users.
* Installing a random dsdt into the initrd isn't the sort of thing you
can you trivially or accidentally.

So, is there any good reason this feature isn't available on the Fedora
kernel? Thanks.

Richard.