Fedora core Chinese font support

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Oct 10 13:50:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 12:55 +0100, Leo wrote:
> On Tue, 10/10/06 11:17 +0100, Yuan Yijun wrote:
>
> > 2006/10/9, Leo <sdl.web at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> FZSongTi, 方正宋体, which is a commercial font.
> >>

> >> Tweaking font needs some expertise on fontconfig, xft and
> >> freetype. It's not a task for end users. I hope fedora come with a
> >> better Chinese font support.
> >>

> > chinese fonts in fc6 has changed a lot from fc5, the look and feel has
> > been improved so much that you have never seen in other distributions.
> > please compare fc6 to novell again after fc6 released.
> >
> > --
> > bbbush ^_^
>
> I probably can do it for FC7. I have no plan to upgrade to FC6 since
> I'm stuck with a lot of work at this time. But what on earth has
> changed from FC6 to FC5 with respect to Chinese fonts? Is it the new
> fontconfig or a new CJK font? Is it possible to backport those to FC5?

The most likely candidate for a big improvement in this area is
a newer version of FreeType. Recent versions of FreeType contain
specific code for auto-hinting CJK fonts. (A version of this code
has apparently been in SuSE for a while as a patch.)

					- Owen

[ This is just a guess - I haven't checked the FreeType version in FC6
  or looked at FC5 / FC6 comparisons for font quality. ]