concerning X freeze recurring

Dax Kelson Dax at gurulabs.com
Thu Oct 12 23:54:15 UTC 2006

...... Original Message .......
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:32:11 -0400 "Sam Folk-Williams" <samfw at redhat.com>
wrote:
>Hi,
>
>About once a day my system randomly freezes while running X (gnome). I
>am not sure what debugging info to collect at this point, here are some
>details:
>
>-This is a t42 thinkpad
>-I am running rawhide updating every day
>-this started happening about 10 days ago and just happened today again
>-it happens about once per day
>-it does not seem to matter what applications are running
>-it usually happens while i am moving the mouse

I had the same problem (at least it sounds the same) on my T42p when FC5
switched from the 2.6.16 kernel to 2.6.17 (I believe). A patch was dropped
from the Fedora kernel radeon drm driver that disabled it unless a certain
parameter was set.

Mike said the bug wouldn't get fixed unless people got bit by it.

The work around is to readd the patch or use the ATI driver.

Sorry I don't have more details but I'm waiting for my sushi to arrive and
I just have my Treo. I filed a bugzilla bug at the time where the
commentary and details are.
___
Dax Kelson
Sent with my Treo