concerning X freeze recurring

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Fri Oct 13 09:50:00 UTC 2006

Warren Togami wrote:
> Zuir DJ wrote:
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> I have a Compaq EVO N800c, ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, rawhide updated
>> daily,  that I use about 10-12 hours a day.  It randomly freezes about
>> 4-5 times a day, no time patterns. I ran memtest86 without errors.
>>

> +1
>
> Thinkpad T41
> Radeon 7500
>
> Complete system deadlocks began happening a few months ago in rawhide.
> Sometimes I can go days between lockups, sometimes it happens a few
> times a day.  It *ALWAYS* seems to happen while I am moving the mouse.

Sigh, another +1.

Thinkpad T30, Radeon 7500.

Runs fine on the thinkpad LCD 1024x768 screen.

Dual head is very unstable, will not run for longer than 10 minutes
which makes it pretty unusable :-( Dual-head was not supported at all in
FC-5, and was very stable in FC-4. (regressions *sigh*).

After playing around with the radeon driver more advanced options, I was
  able to setup it up with external CRT monitor only (with thinkpad LCD
screen disabled), at 1600x1280. Runs ok, but I have had occasional X
freezes, once every few days or so.

Is there a practical way to catch a kernel trace when that happens ?

A great positive with the Radeon 7500 is compiz *just works*, which is
awesome.

-denis