Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

Evandro Fernandes Giovanini efgiovanini at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 21:39:28 UTC 2006

Em Sex, 2006-10-13 às 17:11 +0530, Rahul Sundaram escreveu:
> >> I can agree with that. However, it is my understanding that what truly
> >> makes up the software, the code, is still "free".
> >
> > It's not; you cannot modify it.
>
> Of course you can. Nobody would be able to fork it if it wasnt Free
> software. The mozilla codebase is trilicensed under GPL/LGPL/MPL where
> all there of them are Free software licenses. The current issues are
> related to trademarks and not copyright licenses.

I'd like to clarify that Debian will no longer ship Firefox because the
license of the Firefox logo is not free, so the core of this issue is a
copyright license, not trademark. If Mozilla relicensed the logo under
the GPL/LGPL/MPL like the rest of the Firefox source code then Debian
would be able to ship the package with the original logo in its main
repository. As it is, they can ship it in non-free if one of the Debian
developers feel like doing it.

Mozilla doesn't have to make the Firefox logo non-free to protect its
trademark. I know the Debian people even suggested this to Mozilla, but
they refused to relicense it anyway.

Cheers,
Evandro