*URGENT* Re: Another slip in the FC6 schedule

Alfredo Ferrari list at pceet030.cern.ch
Tue Oct 17 21:34:03 UTC 2006

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH??

Are you telling us (We have lot of filesystems with a 1k blocksize) that
the kernel update for FC5 just issued and dutifully installed on all
our systems (including a 100 CPU cluster) has "ONLY" this minor bug that
it can destroy a fair fraction of our filesystems?

Are you really meaning this??? I hope I completely misunderstood

                    An astonished (ex)loyal user since RedHat4.2

                             Alfredo

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 01:05:35AM +0000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> > Jesse Keating <jkeating <at> redhat.com> writes:
> >
> > > Over the weekend we ran into a few more bugs with Fedora Core 6 that we
> > > decided were important enough to fix.
> >
> > And given that you mentioned that a kernel rebuild is pending, I'm guessing that
> > ext3 corruption problem has been dealt with, right?
>
> That's nailed. It only affects filesystems created with a 1K blocksize.
> (Which by default, we don't do).  There was a problem with anaconda
> at some point during FC6-test where it *would* create them in some situations,
> but that has been addressed.
>
> So unless you're manually making 1K filesystems with mkfs, you wouldn't
> have been bitten by this.  Just to be sure, the fix got checked into the
> final FC6 kernel this morning.
>
> > I remember Dave Jones saying that he isn't going to push 2.6.18 to FC5 unless
> > that's addressed, so I'm assuming the 2200 has the fix as well.
>
> Actually, I just realised it didn't. I'll make sure it gets in the next update.
> But as I said, it only shows up in certain circumstances, and you really
> need to hammer the disk with lots of I/O to make it happen.
>
> 	Dave

|  Alfredo Ferrari                         ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119         |
|  C.E.R.N.                                ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555         |
|  European Laboratory for Particle Physics||                                |
|  AB Division / ATB Group                 ||  e-mail:                       |
|  1211 Geneva 23                          ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at cern.ch    |
|  Switzerland                             ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at mi.infn.it |