feedback: fc5 and fc6t3 x86_64

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Oct 19 13:27:06 UTC 2006

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> On 10/19/06, Jesse Keating <xxxx> wrote:
>> Absolutely not.  An end user's multilib capable machine + OS should
>> install
>> the multilib software by default.  An end user shouldn't have to
>> figure out
>> how to add it after the fact.  It should Just Work(tm) for the user.
>> There
>> should be no problem with the x86_64 and i386 packages being
>> installed.  If
>> there are, like multilib file conflicts, we fix them.
>
> can yum search for foo and if it finds foo-N-N.x86_64.rpm it downloads
> it. If not it will download the 32 bit version. However if it finds
> foo-N-N.x86_64.rpm it should not download the 32 bit version (to
> prevent conflict).

This is not how yum works, when you say "yum install XXX", then yum will
try to install packages that provide XXX in any way, so for example you
can say yum install /usr/bin/joe to install joe. When multiple
packages's (including multiple archs) match XXX then they all get
installed as yum doesn't know which one you want and installing all is
better then installing a random one.

Now with that said there has been discussion in the past that in the
same packages with multiple archs case, that yum should behave
different, see the archives.

Regards,

Hans