Firefox 2.0 parallel install

Gawain Lynch lists-gawain at felicity-group.com
Sun Oct 22 12:53:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 14:34 +0200, Remi Collet wrote:
> >> /usr/lib/firefox2-2.0/*
> >>
> Why not /usr/lib/firefox-2.0/* (this will create an conflict when
> updating to official FF2 (update to FC7) ) as i think firefox-2 will
> probably don't obsolete firefox2 and so, remember user to uninstall it.

If I go down the path of adding this to extras then I would like
agreement from caillon that firefox-2.x in fc7 would obsolete firefox2
otherwise it would open up a world of hurt.

The whole package though relies on people who know what they are doing
with respect to profiles, while I have not extensively tested moving
from a 2.0 profile back to a 1.5 profile I do know for me it seems to
work OK when I click the wrong profile  :-P

YMMV.

> >> /etc/gre.d/gre2.conf
> >>
> Or simply don't package /etc/gre.d as it is require by other Gecko
> applications and provide by official firefox.

This is something I was hoping on feedback from caillon on.  It is my
understanding that applications that were built under a certain version
would look at the ini group header and choose the right values...

> >> /usr/bin/firefox2
> >> /usr/share/applications/mozilla-firefox2.desktop
> >> /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox2.png
> >>

> > What about the users setting? It might get a bit problematic if both use
> > ~/.mozilla/firefox ...
> >
> A solution is to substitute the command line (in the desktop file) to
> launch the profile manager.
>
> I've done this in the past (with deerpark)

I like it :-)

> Cordialy, remi.

Gratefully, Gawain