Firefox 2.0 parallel install

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Oct 23 16:24:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:35:30AM -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> - Firefox 2.0 only adds a few minor "nice-to-have" features that you can
> already get with extensions to 1.5.  This really should be called
> Firefox 1.5.1 instead of 2.0 (the internal gecko number version this
> minor change), but it's called 2.0 for marketing purposes.  They feel

In fact, as I've learned as one of the 44 downloaders of your packages :)
the experience is somewhat *worse* than before, given that my preferred
theme and half a dozen extensions suddenly don't work. I realize that it's a
beta, but in my few hours of use so far, I've found that lack to be a lot
more annoying than any of the new features it presents me.

And find the word "Google" constantly up in the search bar to be
distracting. I'll probably get over that, though.

> extremely compelling about Firefox 2.0.  Firefox 3.0 on the other hand
> will be very compelling for both features, linux support, and embedding
> support.  I am seriously considering pushing 3.0 into FC6 and even FC5,
> and have been making noises for a while about that being the next upgrade.

Probably not FC5, given the timing, yeah? Although if upstream support for
1.5.x stops at the 3.x release, it'd be nice for FC5 to have that before it
goes to Legacy.