Firefox 2.0 parallel install

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 18:59:26 UTC 2006

Marcus Hartig wrote:
> Gawain Lynch wrote:
>
>  > For those of us that want to use Firefox 2 to browse on FC6 without
>  > having to rebuild half of the system, I have *hacked* up a quick
>  > solution that allows a parallel install of FF2 along side FC6's 1.5x.
>
> I've tried the brandnew Firefox 2.0 Release parallel to 1.5.0.7 from:
>
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/
>
> Very fast rendering with the 2.0 version. Faster as with Fedora
> 1.5.0.7-7.fc6. Resizing windows and web rendering is wonderful faaaaast.

The upstream builds disable a few key features that we enable, and they
do a static build instead of linking everything dynamically.  Comparing
Fedora builds to upstream builds is not fair at all.  Besides, I've run
the two.  It's not really that much faster.  The overhead in the Fedora
packages is primarily because we install a bunch of langpacks.