Firefox 2.0 parallel install

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Oct 24 19:24:18 UTC 2006

dragoran wrote:
> Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> - Firefox 2.0 only adds a few minor "nice-to-have" features that you
>> can already get with extensions to 1.5.  This really should be called
>> Firefox 1.5.1 instead of 2.0 (the internal gecko number version this
>> minor change), but it's called 2.0 for marketing purposes.  They feel
>> that they will get more people downloading it with a major version
>> bump as opposed to a 1.5.1 release.  Looks like the marketing hype is
>> working.  Let me state it plainly for everyone: There is nothing
>> extremely compelling about Firefox 2.0.  Firefox 3.0 on the other hand
>> will be very compelling for both features, linux support, and
>> embedding support.  I am seriously considering pushing 3.0 into FC6
>> and even FC5, and have been making noises for a while about that being
>> the next upgrade.
>
> you don't want to push 2.0 into a stable release because its a minor
> change but 3.0 even its a much bigger change??
> I always heard "this is a big update it will break things" -> next
> release; but never heard the opposite (update is minor -> next release)

Things will break either way.  Since that's the case, it should be a
goal to break things as little as possible (update once to 3.0 instead
of breaking things at 2.0 and again at 3.0) and to do so for a
compelling reason.  XULrunner is that compelling reason, and is what
Firefox 3.0 gives us.  It is the single most important thing for the
Linux gecko stack coming up.  Having to only update a single package to
get security fixes as opposed to multiple (can we say dependency hell?)
is a Good Thing(tm) and is worth taking for everyone involved.