Firefox 2.0 parallel install

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Oct 25 11:41:01 UTC 2006

Le Mer 25 octobre 2006 03:44, n0dalus a écrit :
> On 10/24/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>>
>> Le Lun 23 octobre 2006 22:47, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
>>
>> > Would it possible not to install all the different language packages
>> > when I just want just one?
>>
>> Even if the langpacks were split I guess the firefox group would do like
>> the xorg one - install all by default just to be sure they're present at
>> the right time. (No english-only by default is not ok for basic non-us
>> users)
>
> Can't they just be part of the various language install options during
> installation? People who don't customize and tick the box for their
> language will end up with US english for almost everything anyway.

Having a major desktop app like firefox not localized by default would be
a big problem. So far no one proposed any solution robust wrt :
- non-technical users
- upgrades

The "right" solution would probably consist of a mix of :
- dumping in /etc a file declaring which languages should be supported by
the system at the UI level, including fallback order (app translations,
man pages and other localised documentation...)
- dumping in /etc a file declaring which languages should be supported by
the system at the view/edit level (fonts, spellcheckers...)
- writing a system-config-foo to edit those files
- integrating this UI in anaconda for initial install
- tagging package content which falls in one of the two categories (either
at rpm or at comps level - IMHO the right place is rpm, the easier to do
is comps)
- have yum/rpm respect the language filtering

This is major work and so far just installing everything has proved
easier. The problem is known since before FC was born.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot