Fedora Core 7 and KDE

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 11:20:45 UTC 2006

> On Thursday 26 October 2006 06:58, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Two questions:
> > Q1: Will FC7's infrastructure include the tools required to get an
> > pre-defined KDE -extra snapshot on release day?
>
> That is the goal yes.  We made great strides with FC6 to get to this point.
> Now its the last mile.  Not only do we want to be able to have extra CDs at
> install time, but we also want to be able to do specialized composes of
> Fedora that are comprised of packages both in Core and Extras, so that
> somebody could spin the Fedora KDE Edition that has no gnome, just KDE (:

I might be a small man, but the "somebody" part makes me a bit nervous.
At least during the transition phase (FC7-release), I rather see some
hand-holding by -core people to prevent broken ISO's from making KDE
unusable.

> > Q2: What will happen if the KDE extra maintainers leave the project.
> > Will it be orphaned or will be maintained by FC/RHAT personal?
>
> I'm fairly confident that there is enough community interest in KDE that
> someone or someones will take over.

Community interest != maintainers != DE capable maintainers.
KDE is not just a small package - it's a huge complex entity that can
batman cry like a 2 y/o baby with a stinky diaper. (.... Baah! building
kdebinding RPMs on x86_64 is a good example)

- Gilboa