Volume label of installation media

Srihari Vijayaraghavan sriharivijayaraghavan at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 27 02:09:54 UTC 2006

[I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of question; if not, sorry about that.]

Until FC5, I'm used to seeing no blank space character in installation CD & DVD media's volume labels. Is there any specific reason why FC6 changed its course?

This one Windows idiom (as a Linux & Windows sys admin) of having blank space character (in file name, directory name, user name, group name, volume name etc.) is the most painful thing to deal with when scripting & other work flow techniques are concerned.

So the question is, why not keep it simple with the use of _ or - like characters for CD/DVD labels? I'm sure there'll be clever ways of handling blank space characters, but why bother with cleverness, when simple things (KISS philosophy of unix for example) are admirable/appreciable for their simplicity.

Eg, bash's for loop is word driven; so are many other tools like xargs, awk etc. After trying to find one common idiom for all these tools all these long years, I can honestly say, sticking to unix idiom of no space character in a word is the easiest solution of all.

I'm sorry if I haven't communicated it clearly; this is such an unbelievably simple thing, I cannot explain it with words :-(.

Thanks for reading this far.

PS: I sincerely hope Linux doesn't get corrupted by poor Windows idioms. It takes the fun out of Linux :-(.