Volume label of installation media

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 16:21:48 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06, Srihari Vijayaraghavan <sriharivijayaraghavan at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> [I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of question; if not, sorry about that.]
>
> Until FC5, I'm used to seeing no blank space character in installation CD & DVD media's volume labels. Is there any specific reason why FC6 changed its course?
>
> PS: I sincerely hope Linux doesn't get corrupted by poor Windows idioms. It takes the fun out of Linux :-(.

OS X does the exact same thing (mounting the volumes under /Volumes
instead) - they even show an audio CD as a directory of AIFF audio
files, complete with CDDB-looked-up file names (containing spaces!).
Not sure if Solaris does the same.

So it's not just a Windows idiom. Personally, anything that looks
nicer *and* can catch broken-but-not-fatal assumptions is a good
thing.

Though it's a bit curious that there's not enough KDE users
beta-testing Fedora for the bug to be noticed before release?

--
Michel Salim
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~msalim