Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 03:24:46 UTC 2006

On 9/30/06, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> I've read through the Debian bug report where this very problem is being
> discussed right now:
>
> I think Mozilla's restrictions on the trademark are a real problem. For
> example, they don't even tolerate SECURITY updates without explicitly approving
> every single patch. They have also pretty-much backpedaled from a previous
> agreement they had with Debian (with the justification that that agreement was
> with Gerv from the Foundation and now it's the Corporation which decides), who
> is guaranteeing us that they won't do it to Fedora too? Who's guaranteeing us
> that they won't refuse to approve an important patch (or worse, ALL new
> patches) in the future? I'd really suggest following Debian's renaming here
> (with the same name if possible, to reduce confusion).
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Sorry to jump in here. But from what I've read, it seems that MozCo is
cool with Fedora as things stand. As ugly as this entire dispute is,
it seems it would be only uglier if this turned into gang bang of
sorts.

I personally do not use Firfox as my primary browser, but I would hate
to see its name tarnished. If it comes to having to rebrand it, I
think that should be a last resort.

Peace.

--
Fedora Core 5 and proud