Xfce 4.4 call for testing

Kevin Fenzi kevin-redhat-devel at scrye.com
Tue Oct 3 18:01:58 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Patrice" == Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> writes:

Patrice> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:22:46AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Myself and Christoph (The xfce plugins maintainer for extras) have
>> been building and testing Xfce4.4rc1 since it's release (and the
>> betas before it).
>>
>> Things are looking all good with our limited testing now.

Patrice> I was allready running the beta repo, so there wasn't
Patrice> important changes.

Yeah, thanks for the feedback on the eariler packages.
It's been very helpfull.

Patrice> The first thing I noticed, when re-adding the battery status
Patrice> plugin to the panel was that the icon in the add-to-panel
Patrice> selection list was a mouse and not a battery. Maybe it is
Patrice> normal, but it would be better if it was a battery or
Patrice> something like that.

Odd. I will ask Christoph about that.

Patrice> Another issue happen when some apps take over the background
Patrice> and icons management (nautilus for example). The issue is
Patrice> that when the app which took over is stopped, xfce don't take
Patrice> control back. I have to reconfigure it, and check
Patrice> (approximate translation) 'enable xfce to manage the
Patrice> desktop'.

yes, this is what upstream wants. If you run nautilus, it will take
over and you will have to re-run xfdesktop if you want it to take back
control. I guess the reasoning is that it has no way of knowing which
one you want to control the desktop, or way of detecting when
something like nautilus is finished.

Patrice> A third issue is that the applications pre-selectionned are
Patrice> not necessarily installed (mousepad, Terminal...), and this
Patrice> gives a bad impression when a click on the button leads to an
Patrice> error pop-up 'cannot launch...'. I don't know if/how it could
Patrice> be solved easily. One possibility would be that instead of
Patrice> the missing app error exo is launched to ask for the
Patrice> preferred application. Maybe this means that the exo mcs
Patrice> pluggin has to be enabled and maybe a bit more?

I can enable it for Terminal, but exo doesn't have an editor or File
manager pref I don't think.

In older Xfce they were set to other apps, like openoffice for
editor. :(

>> I'm not sure if we are going to try and push things in this week
>> before fc6 is released, or wait until after fc6 and push them into
>> devel and then push them into fc6 later. Thoughts on that would be
>> welcome.

Patrice> To me it can be in fc6 from the beginning, it is pretty
Patrice> stable and it would allow more coverage for last few bugs
Patrice> which should be fixed as soon as possible, before a lot of
Patrice> people switch to fc6. It could be in devel now, anyway
Patrice> (except if it requires other packages which have to go
Patrice> through review).

The only remaining package needed I think is xfce-dev-tools, which is
under review now. (Thats needed for some of the plugins).

We are looking at checking in CVS changes tomorrow and then pushing
out builds for fc6 on thursday, unless someone comes up with any show
stoppers.

Patrice> A reason to postpone would be to test more the transition
Patrice> path which is certainly not that much tested.

yeah. I was hoping to hear some more from people upgrading...
I will also try and do some more testing tonight on the updating from
the current to the new versions.

Patrice> -- Pat

kevin