Xfce 4.4 call for testing

Kevin Fenzi kevin-redhat-devel at scrye.com
Wed Oct 4 00:48:39 UTC 2006

>> yes, this is what upstream wants. If you run nautilus, it will take
>> over and you will have to re-run xfdesktop if you want it to take
>> back control. I guess the reasoning is that it has no way of
>> knowing which one you want to control the desktop, or way of
>> detecting when something like nautilus is finished.

Patrice> Indeed. But this shouldn't be that way, there should be some
Patrice> collaboration among desktop managers. Not something relevant
Patrice> here, though.

Agreed on both counts. ;)

>> I can enable it for Terminal, but exo doesn't have an editor or
>> File manager pref I don't think.

Patrice> For the file manager it doesn't matter, since thunar is
Patrice> rightly pulled as a dependency and is tightly associated with
Patrice> xfce.

Correct. It's needed for various things and is part of the core Xfce.

>> In older Xfce they were set to other apps, like openoffice for
>> editor. :(

Patrice> That's equally bad. What about 'xterm -e vi' ;-). This should
Patrice> certainly be reported upstream.

Well, I guess it's up to packagers to decide what those should be and
make sure dependencies are installed.

Patrice> My personal opinion would be to add mousepad and Terminal
Patrice> Requires to the panel in the mean time.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking of doing...

>> The only remaining package needed I think is xfce-dev-tools, which
>> is under review now. (Thats needed for some of the plugins).

Patrice> That's strange. Why is it needed? It's only a bunch of
Patrice> autoconf macros... For which package is this needed?

It's needed for some of the plugins. Some of them have not had
official releases for 4.4 yet, so there are only svn snapshots.
You need xfce-dev-tools in order to build any of the svn snapshots.

It's not required by any of the core packages.

Patrice> -- Pat

kevin